Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent


Some store-bought laundry detergent scents are too strong for me. I was buying an all-natural powdered detergent from a company in Canada but it was kind of expensive. A few weeks ago I ran across this detergent recipe on a fellow blogger's site. I tried it, love it, and will never buy laundry detergent again. 

Ingredients:
1 C. Borax
1 C. Baking Soda
1 C. Washing Soda (found in the cleaning aisle)
1 bar castile soap (I like Dr. Bronner's)

Leave the bar of soap sit out, unwrapped, for 1-2 weeks. This will dry the soap out and make it easier to grate. Then use an old cheese grater to turn the soap into powder. My mom found a rotary grater at the thrift store for $.50 that works great for this.  
Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. I like to use a big whisk to combine the ingredients. Store in an airtight container. One batch makes enough for approximately 60 loads.


Now you're ready to do laundry. Add only 1 tablespoon of detergent per load. That's it! Hang your clothes outside to dry for an extra fresh smell.

Comments

My Owl Barn said…
Wow. I have never made laundry detergent at home. But this seems interesting to try. Thanks for sharing!
i'm definitely intrigued! i never thought of making my own detergent!!
xoxo alison
Jennifer said…
the recipe I used exactly!
The first bar soap i tried is FeLs Naptha- because it is the "laundry soap". The scent is pretty strong though- am going to try Dr Bronner's next.
Great tip on leaving the soap out to dry first.... and using a rotary grinder- will have to look for one. That part took the longest- I used a regular cheese grinder, then put the flakes through a food processor to turn them into powder.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher