Bathroom Remodel

When I bought my house, the bathroom was in a pretty scary state. Nothing says “Home Sweet Home” like moldy walls, crusty faucets and the lingering scent of urine.

And so it began... my first remodeling project.

That wimpy little mask I have on in the photo didn’t last very long. A few hours into the demolition, the horse-hair plaster dust went right through the fabric and into my lungs. My chest hurt for days. That’s when I invested in one of those fancy masks with the canisters on the side that make you look like you’re ready to storm the beaches of Normandy. Those masks make your face sweat like crazy but I can’t recommend them enough. 

Next there was the day that I learned how to shut the water off. One misplaced swing and I had 9 gallons of water pouring out of the toilet tank. Whoops.

After removing all of the old plaster, we put up insulation, installed a new window and hung drywall.

That’s my mom demonstrating how much fun you can have while mudding the ceiling. I was so happy to have her help because mudding is one of my least favorite things to do.

Once the walls where finished and painted, it was on to the floor. There was four layers of old floor and the subfloor was rotten so we ripped all of it out.

Two of the floor joists were just swinging freely so we hung six new joists next to the old ones and attempted to make the floor somewhat level. I say attempted because the house was built in 1857 and the bathroom dropped over an inch from one corner to the other. I’m guessing that the builders didn’t have fancy leveling equipment over 150 years ago. That’s my wonderful, talented fiancé, Christian, working on the floor. He came into my life at the perfect time ;)

Next we laid new subfloor and ceramic tile. Christian cut the tiles and I laid them. I think tiling is one of my favorite things to do.

Dad handled all of the plumbing and electrical issues and helped out with a lot of the other little tasks along the way.

I really loved the large vanity so I decided to restore it instead of building something new.

I bought a large sheet of laminate and watched videos on www.thisoldhouse.com to learn how to mount and cut the laminate. Then I found a fancy hexagonal sink at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for just $15 to drop into the hole. A little bit of fresh paint and some new hardware and the vanity was done.

So there you have it. My remodeled bathroom.

PS - And it only took 3 years to finish. LOL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher