What's On Our Menu This Week

Over the weekend I made up a little menu board that I hung on the side of our kitchen cupboard. I shouldn't even say that I "made it" because it's just a picture frame that I wrote on with dry erase markers. Easy! I've been writing out our weekly menu on paper for some time now but the paper blows away or gets dirty so I thought the menu board would be a little more fun. 




I enjoyed watching Christian's face as he read through the menu after I hung it up. He's always a little leery of the strange ingredients but he's such a good sport about eating everything that I make. I think I'm a tougher critic on myself than he is. I tend to try a few new recipes every week. The green writing tells me what magazine or cookbook the recipe is in. This week we're having all vegetarian meals. Thursday - Saturday are new recipes. I can't wait to see how they turn out!




IN REVIEW: 
Monday: The spaghetti turned into tortellini with roasted red peppers, chickpeas, and garlic. What I thought was a jar of spaghetti sauce in the cupboard was actually salsa. Oops.
Tuesday: We got home late from work so I swapped the rice out for couscous. Still delicious!
Wednesday: We ended up having pizza at my parents house because we were having our taxes done in town and it didn't pay to drive home first.
Thursday: I decided to flip the Thursday & Friday recipes. The hotdish was pretty good but very lemony. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be that way or if I was a little too aggressive in squeezing my lemons.
Friday: The rosemary tofu was AMAZING. I had no idea that tofu could taste that good! I substituted the soba with japanese rice noodles. Eh. Not that great.
Saturday: Polenta Goat Cheese Pizza - good stuff!
Sunday: I was so disappointed in the red beans. The whole house smelled delicious while the beans were in the oven all afternoon but when it came time to eat, they didn't taste like anything. The cauliflower polenta was just okay. 



Comments

Pretty Things said…
Wow -- you are WAY more organized than I am in the kitchen area!!!! Kudos to you for making that so pretty!
Kelly J. R. said…
Thanks, Lori! I imagine that once I have kids the kitchen will be way more chaotic. I try to be as organized with the meals as best I can otherwise I forget why I bought 2 lbs of spinach and have no idea what to do with it! Also, with living out in the country, it's not convenient just to run to the grocery store to pick up something I don't have.

Even though I plan things out, I still run into snags. Take Monday night for example: as you can see, spaghetti was on the menu. What I THOUGHT was a jar of spaghetti sauce in the cupboard turned out to be salsa! LOL. So, I had to improve a bit on that one. The meal was still a success but I had to giggle at myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher