What's On Our Menu This Week

My life is about to get a bit more complicated. Last week I went to see a naturopath because my fingers get really bad in the winter. See?




Swollen, inflamed, burning, itching and aching. Sorry for the gross picture but I wanted to show you what I've been dealing with every winter for YEARS. I've seen regular doctors for the problem but no one was able to pinpoint what was causing it. They just wanted to give me medication in hopes that it would go away. Um, no thanks. I've played the "let's see what side effects this medicine causes" game with other medical issues and it's no fun. 


So I went the natural medicine route and the lady I saw thinks I may be sensitive to wheat gluten. Right now I'm going through a cleanse to rid my body of any toxins and I'm switching to a gluten-free diet. I love sweets and bread so this dietary switch is going to be a real challenge for me. I'm the kind of person that eats healthy meals just so I can eat more sweets without suffering the consequences. I'm used to eating cookies or other sweets during my morning commute then having peanut butter toast for breakfast. I would also snack on crackers, pretzels and graham crackers. Not to mention the croutons on salads, crusty breads for soup dipping, muffins and pasta. ARG! But - if a gluten-free diet will make my fingers feel normal again, I'm willing to fight through this change. So, here it is - my first gluten-free menu.



You might be wondering how pizza or spaghetti can be gluten-free. I'm making the pizza crust from scratch using teff and brown rice flour. No gluten there! For the spaghetti I will use rice noodles. Luckily we have a few great local grocery stores that cater to gluten-free diets.


IN REVIEW:
Monday: The gluten-free pizza crust was so good! The whole house smelled wonderful as the pizza baked. I think I like this new crust better than the recipe I had been using.
Tuesday: A tried and true favorite. I add an extra tablespoon of soy sauce and rice noodles to the recipe to make it a little more filling. 
Wednesday: I had to switch the meals for Wednesday and Thursday nights because I forgot to put the beans in the crock pot on Tuesday. I've been cooking our crock pot meals while we sleep because we're away from home during the day 11+ hours. That's just too long for most things to cook. The honey braised carrots were okay. Nothing I would ever make again. The curried sweet potato fritters were terrible. I shiver with disgust just thinking about them.
Thursday: The shrimp and corn were very yummy. The spicy beans turned out bland and not spicy at all. That cookbook is going to go back to the thrift store pretty quick unless I run into a recipe that I can't part with.
Friday: Mom R. made 2 kinds of lasagna - a traditional batch and then a seafood lasagna with crab and shrimp. They were both delicious. My herbalist said that I can have gluten 2 times a week so this meal was one of those times.

Saturday: Christian really loved the turkey meatballs I threw into the spaghetti. I really loved the gluten-free brown rice pasta.
Sunday: The wild mushroom risotto was really tasty. I guess I'll hang onto the thrift store veggie slow cooker cookbook for a bit longer. Maybe there's a few more good recipes hiding out in there.
Weekend Baking: I hadn't planned on baking anything this week because I'm still familiarizing myself with gluten-free cooking but I came across a recipe for Elvis Granola on Eat, Live, Run that I just had to try. OMG! It's so good! I added some banana chips too. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher