What's On Our Menu This Week

This week I'm trying out 3 different recipes from The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen.  Also, last Friday I was out for a walk with the dogs and noticed the forest is full of ramps (wild leeks) right now. I have a book on foraging for food that has a lot of different recipes for wild edibles so I thought I would try something new. If the weather cooperates, I'll be going out and collecting enough ramp leaves to make pesto. I can't wait!


IN REVIEW:
Monday: Since the forecast said that Monday would be our only day of sunshine the whole week, I skipped out on grocery shopping and just made spaghetti for supper. Instead of shopping and cooking, we played in the garden and went for a long walk. You have to enjoy the good weather when you can.
Tuesday: After work, Christian and I drove a bit north of home to look at some land for sale. Then the rain stopped so we took a detour home and stopped at a few county parks. We didn't get home until 6:15 and I seriously considered just making grilled cheese for supper but, after much debate, I stuck with the original meal plan. The enchiladas turned out well. Not the best Mexican I've ever made but it was a healthy, quick meal.
Wednesday: This was my first time making falafel. The recipe came from Easy Gluten-Free and it was, in fact, very easy to make. The taste was great but the falafel turned out a little soft. I think that was due to my using one 15 oz. of chickpeas instead of 16 oz.
Thursday: This was a quick throw-together meal with frozen stir-fry veggies and a jarred sauce. Not surprisingly, it wasn't as good as my homemade stir-fry.
Friday: So, I missed the ramp harvest by 1 week. Last weekend the woods were full of ramps and this weekend I had a hard time finding ANY. So, I made the paella that was originally planned for Monday. I've had paella in restaurants before and this tasted nothing like what I remember. The flavor was just okay - not something I would make again.
Saturday: We were out at my family's land all day so we had brats and pizza pudgies. Yum!
Sunday: Christian had a minor plumbing mishap so the water was turned off in the house all afternoon. Good thing we had a lot of leftovers in the fridge!
Baking: Didn't happen. I pulled some chocolate chip zucchini cookies out of the freezer instead.



Comments

Mmm, brown rice paella! Sounds so good. Can't wait to hear what you think of it! :)
Kelly J. R. said…
Hi Hannah - thanks for your comment! You can read my opinion of the paella in the "IN REVIEW" section of this post.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher