The Birds that Blew in on a Spring Storm

Late last week the dogs and I headed out for a walk. We finally had some nice, warm weather. I was actually wearing SHORTS!  The feel of the suns warm rays brought a smile to my face.


A short ways into our walk, I could hear some distant thunder. The sky was clouding up but the sun was still shining on ME so I thought, "Eh, what's a little rain?" and we continued on our walk. After awhile, the rumbles got louder and poor Riley started to cling to my side. (She's afraid of storms.)


Buster, on the other hand, couldn't figure out why we were poking along. 


Finally, I turned around to see what all the fuss was about and this is what I saw.


Hmmm, time to head back home! Less than an hour later we got walloped with quarter-size hail and very heavy winds. After the hail, torrential downpours made a river out of the driveway and instantly flooded the basement. Lovely.


That was the first time I was home alone when a nasty storm hit. I admit, I was a little scared. I called Christian to make sure he was safe on his drive home from work. The hail didn't hit him - just the rain. Luckily, the hail didn't do any damage to our property. The wind twisted one of our barn doors but we have new doors to hang so it's not a big deal.


The weather the next morning was still gray and crappy but our bird feeders were bursting with bright, beautiful birds. We had orioles, indigo buntings and flocks of gold finches coming to enjoy the thistle, sunflower and safflower seeds. What a treat!





Comments

Amy Rene said…
Glad you made it back to safety. Though that "right before the storm" sky is one of my favorite views ever.
Kelly J. R. said…
I love moody, stormy skies too. I'm designing a high school sports book cover and get to browse through photos of storms and lightning. Not a bad way to spend the day.
Christina said…
I envy you the Indigo Buntings! I do get lots of goldfinches, nuthatches, house finches, etc. About a 2wks ago I got my first hummers!
Kelly J. R. said…
I actually had to look the indigo buntings up in the bird book because I never got those at my house in Neenah. I WISH we got nuthatches. I love how they skitter up and down the tree trunks.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher