Craft Hope Project - Orphan Outreach

Last week I came across a blog post on Under the Sycamore that introduced me to Craft Hope. In the founders' own words: "Craft Hope is a love inspired project designed to share handmade crafts with those who need them.  It is our hope to combine our love for crafting and desire to help others into a project to make a difference around the world."

For Project 12, Craft Hope is partnering with Orphan Outreach and sending them a little love to take to Russia. Crafters from around the world are making bracelets for an Orphan Outreach team to pass out to kids when they visit Russia in August. To read more about the project, please visit the Craft Hope Project page.

This project struck a cord with me because in 2004 I spent a few days visiting a Russian orphanage when I was in the country volunteering with the International Crane Foundation.

The younger children were taking naps when we arrived.

Ambrea with a few of the girls all pretty in pink.

The children were so sweet. We played games with them and they performed a few traditional Russian folk dances for us later in the night. We brought small gifts for the kids including some beaded bracelets. My bead container at home is so full I can't even close it right now so I decided to make a few bracelets for the Craft Hope project.


These 11 bracelets took me such a small amount of time to make compared to the big smiles that they will give the kids who receive them. Along with the bracelets I sent a little note to the woman who is collecting all of the donations.


If you are a crafty person, I encourage you to donate just a little bit of your time to help spread hope and love to those in need. If this Craft Hope project isn't for you, perhaps a future one will work out better.


Comments

Donna said…
What a nice note and sentiment. Love your bracelets too. So bright and cheery!
Kelly J. R. said…
Thanks, Donna! Your bracelets are really cool too. I'm not a sewer so I like how different they are from mine.
Teresa said…
The bracelets are beautiful! What did you string them with? Will the kids tie them closed or is there a clasp? I have beads & would like to use them for Craft Hope. Thanks!
Kelly J. R. said…
Teresa - I used "Stretch Magic" which is an elastic string. That way the bracelets will stretch to different wrist sizes and no clasps or ties are needed. You should be able to find that at any craft store.
Teresa said…
Thank you Kelly! Great idea. I actually might have some elastic string. I usually work with metal wire & didn't feel that was appropriate.
Kathy said…
What an awesome project! I wish I had known about this earlier. Russian orphanages strike a chord with me as well. My niece and 2 nephews began their young lives in orphanages in Russia. They were adopted by my brother-in-law and sister-in-law when they were little.

Your bracelets are perfectly colorful and cheerful!
Kelly J. R. said…
Kathy - This WOULD have been a good project for you! I'll have to keep you in mind if I ever come across another Russia related charity project. I love donating my time and talents for a good cause but it's even more fun with that little extra personal connection.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher