On Our Menu: May 23-30

I'm cooking all soft foods this week due to the extraction of Christian's wisdom teeth last Thursday. We both have really nasty colds right now so I'm not trying out any new recipes. Our tasters are a bit off so I'm sticking to some of the tried and true favorites. Sunday is a big question mark because I'm not sure what we're doing or where we're going for the holiday weekend.




LAST WEEK'S MENU IN REVIEW (View the original post here.)
Monday: The shrimp scampi recipe is one of my top ten favorites. Butter, white wine, garlic and red pepper flakes make such a delicious sauce.
Tuesday: The Sugar Snap & Snow Pea Stir-Fry was a huge disappointment. The cashews were chewy and the mixture didn't have much flavor. 
Wednesday: The ham was leftover from Sunday night so no preparation there. My Asparagus and Parmesan Tart looked nothing like the photo on Relish. The cook must have used a much bigger puff pastry than I did because I had to double stack the asparagus to get it all to fit. The flavor was pretty good but it left a not-so-good aftertaste.
Thursday: Christian was pretty knocked out of it from the anesthesia. He didn't feel hungry but I made him eat a bowl of fresh tomato soup anyways. I used an immersion blender to liquify the veggies so he didn't have to chew anything.
Friday: I ended up having to work all day and had no time or energy to cook when I got home. So, we had spaghetti with pasta sauce from a jar. Hey, every cook needs a break now and then!
Saturday: I finally got around to making the Chicken and Dumpling Soup. The recipe came from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring. That was my first time making chicken stock from scratch and the flavor blew me out of the water. I can't believe I've been buying stock in a can all these years! The dumplings didn't really turn out. The batter was way too runny so I had to add quite a bit extra flour. For those of you that have had Mary's Restaurant (Appleton, WI) award winning Chicken Dumpling Soup, this recipe tasted just like it! 
Sunday: The Lentil Sloppy Joes recipe came from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring as well. From what I could taste (we have nasty colds) the mix was really good. The recipe made a lot so I put half in the freezer. That way I'll be able to really taste it next time around.
Baking: I was going to make Oatmeal Raisin Cookies until I realized I didn't have enough butter. So, instead I made Peanut Butter Cookies. The recipe was from Complete Gluten-Free Cookbook and uses amaranth flour. They are very tasty! Christian was mad that I made cookies and he couldn't eat any.



Comments

Dionne said…
Your weekly menus always sound sooo good! I love how detailed and organized it all is.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

Yarn Along: Ready Player Shawl