Remembering Ash

Our barn cat, Ash, was due to have another litter of kittens any day. Her best bud (and son) Bravo had been hanging out by our house for a few days so I figured that Ash had her kittens and kicked Bravo out of the barn. Last night I grabbed a flashlight and headed out into the barn to investigate. I wasn't prepared for what I saw. Something had killed our sweet Ash. I'll spare you the gruesome details of what I saw because, quite frankly, it's a sight that I can't get out of my mind. I buried her under the rock wall by the garden where some of her kittens already lay. Christian and I are very sad that she's gone. She was so friendly and loved to run over to us for pets as soon as she spotted us outside. 




A few summers ago, someone dumped collar-clad Ash off at our farm. Just last year I realized that she didn't have any front claws when she took a soft swipe at my dog. I was shocked and amazed that she had survived for so long outdoors without any defense except her teeth. With that thought in mind, I feel so bad that she didn't stand a chance against whatever attacked her. 


The Queen
Spring 2010 Litter

Out for a walk with me and the dogs
Ash was such a good cat. We'll miss her gentle nature and raspy purrs.

Comments

Pretty Things said…
Oh no. I'm so so so sorry. We have a gray and white kitty, too. And we lost my old, sweet Himalayan last year and I'm still not over it.

I'm so sorry.
Kelly J. R. said…
Thank you for your kind words but there's been a twist in the story!! After last night's events, I'm little embarrassed by yesterday's post. Ash is back from the dead!

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

7 Days in Glacier National Park