On Our Menu: August 1 - 7

I have to go to the dentist on Tuesday to have two cavities drilled out. Yuck. A few weeks ago I had two other cavities drilled and I couldn't chew or open my mouth for days. I felt like I had my wisdom teeth pulled out all over again. Hopefully I won't be hurting as much this time around because I really do like to eat and I have some great new recipes to try this week.




LAST WEEK'S MENU IN REVIEW (View the original post here)
Monday: The Grilled and Marinated Zucchini was a big disappointment. The flavor was bland and the texture was weird. The tilapia, however, turned out great. I simply coated the fillets with Penzey's Lemon Pepper seasoning and grilled them atop foil. 
Tuesday: Mmmmmmm. Beer Brats. It's a Wisconsin thing. The Whole Grain Rice Salad from the Super Natural Every Day cookbook was really different from anything that I've ever made before. The base of the dish was rice and it was infused by a homemade cherry vinaigrette dressing. Cherry halves, toasted walnuts and goat cheese completed the dish. We both thought that it was good but I'm not sure if I'll ever make it again.
Wednesday: This shrimp and pasta dish is one of my all-time favorite meals. It's so easy to throw together and is bursting with flavor with only a few ingredients.
Baking: Wednesday night I made a Macaroon Tart from the Super Natural cookbook. The coconut tart has blackberries and pistachios sprinkled on top but you can't even taste them because the coconut overpowers everything. The tart is sweet and buttery and, obviously, very coconut-y. 
Thursday: I had some mini pizza crusts leftover from our trip so I piled them high with veggies from our garden - onion, zucchini, banana peppers and fresh oregano. They were delicious!
Friday: The Tortellini Salad recipe was also from Super Natural cookbook. The salad included broccoli, asparagus and a lemon and garlic oil. The flavor was a little mild but good for a hot day.
Saturday: Even with my alterations, the Avocado-Spinach Panini turned out great. I couldn't find smoked sun-dried tomatoes so I used oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes and added some smoked paprika seasoning. I also made the sandwich on regular wheat bread and cooked it like a grilled cheese because I don't have a grill pan or panini maker.
Sunday: We met some friends at the Thresheree for lunch. The heat and humidity were horrible so later in the day we cooled off at home with a Snickers ice cream cake I made for Christian's birthday. I wasn't hungry for supper so I just had a banana and plain bread. After I got rid of my heat headache, I made the Muesli from the Super Natural cookbook. The flavor was just okay. All in all, I am pretty disappointed by that cookbook. The actual book is beautiful but the recipes are ho-hum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher