Garden Update: September 9, 2011

The changes in our garden from last month to this month are a little harder to spot than in the last garden update. Look closely and you'll see that the pumpkins are a deeper orange and the sunflowers and gladiolas are blooming. 




Every year we plant a row of sunflowers on the north side of the garden and they make me so happy. Do you see the the bumble bee in the photo? The birds and the bees love the sunflowers too! When I bought my own house 5 years ago, my grandpa gave me some Gladiola bulbs from his garden. Every fall I dig up the bulbs so I can enjoy the flowers again next year. Also, our pepper plants are still loaded with fruit. With the cost of a sweet bell pepper around $3.00 EACH(!) in the grocery store, I'm glad that I planted so many. I bought the little bird decoration from The Wreath Factory in Menasha and I think it looks really cute popping out of the cosmos (which you can't see). And our celery is actually starting to look like celery. Woohoo!




I haven't done an "On Our Menu" post in two weeks partly because I've just been pulling random stuff out of the garden for meals but also because we've been working on restoring our barn and it's harvest time. I've been freezing vegetables and making big batches of pesto. I also picked 72 apples from our two trees and made a giant stock pot of applesauce. 


Our melons are also ready for harvest. Check out that enormous "Moon & Stars" watermelon! We have another one just as big still waiting to be picked. We'll be cracking open the "Hale's Best" melons later this week. 


And now the sad part. Look at our forecast for the rest of the week.


Frost. Frost. FROST! Just when everything is looking so great, it all may come to a screeching halt. We'll try to save the tender plants by covering them with tarps but I'm not so sure that will be enough. The daytime temps just won't be warm enough. So, for the next two days, I will pull as much out of the garden as I can and plan for the worst.


Comments

Sally Anderson said…
Hi Kelly -- Just wondered if you got that frost. I hope it waits a while longer! Can't wait to see what you've done with the Bead Soup!
Kelly J. R. said…
We DID get frost for 2 nights but we covered the garden up with tarps so everything was safe. Now it looks like we'll have a few more weeks of okay weather. What a relief! I could never be a full time farmer. It's too stressful worrying about the weather - something that is SO out of your control.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher