It's Bead Soup Blog Party Day!

It's time to reveal what I made with the beads I received from Sally, my Bead Soup Blog Party partner. These are the beads that Sally so graciously sent me:




When I saw the little jade pieces, I immediately thought of leaves. The brown cylinders reminded me of tree trunks and the square focal made me think of 2 different places we visited in the Canadian Rockies while on our honeymoonThe first place that came to mind was a waterfall in Johnston Canyon, Banff National Park. Next to the falls was a cave that we went into and got blasted by the cold mist.




The second place that I thought of was Natural Bridge in Yoho National Park. The icy blue Kicking Horse River flows under a sturdy bridge of rock.




The beauty of those jagged peaks and glacier-fed rivers is still so fresh in my mind and heart. I think my necklace reflects my love for the mountains and their many cascades. First, I started with a sketch of my necklace. I knew what I wanted to do, but I wasn't sure if I could pull it off.
 

When I finally got around to putting the necklace together, I modified a few things from my original sketch but otherwise the concept is the same.


The toggle that Sally sent was too pretty to stick behind the neck so this is my first necklace with a side toggle. I've never used ribbon before and the knots I tied kept coming undone. I took the necklace into a local bead store, The Glass Onion, and the owner suggested wrapping the knots with wire. Perfect! If you're ever in the Appleton, Wisconsin area, you should check out that little bead shop. This project brought me to that store for the first time and now they have a customer for life. What a cool place!

Originally I was going to make the "waterfall" go from dark blue to light blue but then I thought the colors would flow better the other way because the toggle has light blue and the "tree trunk" is dark brown. I'm very pleased with the switch.


I had a little bit of a hard time figuring out what to do with the 5 strands of wire from the waterfall. I wanted the blue beads to flow directly into the "tree trunk" so I knew a jump ring was out of the question. Luckily, all 5 wires fit through the trunk bead as well as the 3 bumpy green glass beads. I kept 2 wires to string the "leaves" then pinched off the others just above the green glass. The pinch beads aren't noticeable unless you look closely. I'm sure there's a better way to handle a situation like this but I'm not very experienced so I just did whatever worked for me.

Another problem that I encountered was that the necklace was out of balance. From the initial planning stages, I knew this was going to be a problem.The toggle and the square focal bead are very heavy pieces so when I wore the necklace for the first time, it kept sliding so the toggle could be at the lowest point. That's when I went back to the bead store and picked out the 3 glass beads at the top of the leaf cluster. Now everything is perfectly in balance.


This project definitely challenged me but in a good way. This winter I would like to take some classes to learn some new techniques. There's a lot of things that I would like to do, but right now I don't know how to do them. I'm excited for the opportunity to learn more.

Please visit my partner Sally's blog and see what she created from the beads that I sent her. Also, check out the other 360(!) posts from bead soup participants from all over the world. And while you're at it, stop by and give Lori Anderson some love for setting up this amazing Bead Soup Blog Party. Thanks, Lori!





19. Anna Sabina­­­­ and Erin Siegel


































Comments

Sally Anderson said…
Wow! Kelly that is totally awesome! I love what you did with what I sent (and your own beads). It's so perfect and lovely. Good for you! It was fun trading with you & I'll be following you now.
TorqueStory said…
Thank you so much for taking the time to post photos of your inspirations and your sketching. I love reading posts of artists who document the creative process. And I love how you shared your creative solutions to the balance problem and the wire-wrapping of the ribbon.
KayzKreationz said…
You did a wonderful job with that. I'm not a fan of blue, but it all perfectly reflects the waterfall, and trees/leaves around it. Very nice. And congrats on trying something new and finding a great bead store for help and inspiration.
Shiraz said…
This is a great piece. I love the concept.
EmandaJ said…
Cool and verdant. Lovely necklace. We’re all being pushed outside our comfort zones — with amazing results!

Enjoy the hop,
Emanda

http://artemisiastudio.blogspot.com/2011/09/bead-soup-reveal.html
Menno Jeweler said…
A lover of blues and greens, I am certainly impressed with this necklace! And I love that the great outdoors was your inspiration!
Kristen said…
Totally awesome! I can here the waterfalls here!
I totally see a forest and a waterfall! That is awesome!
Carol Tannahill said…
Great design idea! I loved how you showed how you developed your lovely necklace and you can see the story in your work.
Karyn B said…
I just love how you thought and planned this out and realized your vision. It turned out beautifully!
susie said…
OMGoodness...your soup is DELICIOUS my Friend!!! I LOVE, Love, love your design, it's truly stunning! Well done, another AMAZING cup of BEAD SOUP from a very talented designer!!! ;)
PS: Your word verification was BLESS, that's pretty cool! :))
pam ferrari said…
I love your design. I think maybe the best design I have seen all day.
coffeeaddict said…
OMG! this is spectacular. I love the thought and effort that went into the designing process and I can now totally see the waterfall effect in your necklace.
Bobbie said…
How great that you were able to use such a lovely inspiration for your piece. It made it even more special and personal. Nice job!
Really interesting use of the blue and green, and highlighting the clasp was perfect.
Steph L. said…
Very nice, I love the blue with the brown!
Deci said…
Great conceptual piece.
Shirley said…
What a beautiful necklace! I can't quite figure out how the square bead stays in place?? I love the waterfall concept, and the colors are just beautiful. Great job!!!
Kelly J. R. said…
Thank you everyone for your very kind comments!

Shirley - If you look closely in the 2nd photo of me wearing the necklace you'll see the secret to the floating square bead. The square has a hole in the top and bottom of the bead. Just one of the wire strands is threaded through those holes then I placed a larger silver disk on the bottom of the square to keep it in place. Pretty sneaky!
Maggie said…
I am so impressed with your inspiration and thought process. Thanks for sharing that, wish I could design in that way. Your end result is a spectacular beauty, just like the nature that inspired you.
Sweet Freedom said…
Love what you did, and that box clasp is incredible! I have never worked with ribbon, and appreciate your tip about the wire!
Beadbug said…
I love to see the inspiration and sketching. It's always great to see how others work.
Mylene said…
What an amazing toggle you had to work with. No wonder you didn't want it at the back. I love how you designed your piece and the thought process and inspiration that went into it. Great to see the necklace on a real model too... it's a definite keeper.
Wendy said…
Wow, very nice! I loved reading what inspired your necklace! Great job!
Love the story behind the design and how you overcame challenges. Oh, and the necklace is pretty awesome too. And a very special piece with so much meaning behind it.
Tracy said…
Fabulous necklace, thanks too for sharing your inspiration and your sketch of the design...it's nice to see someone else's creative process in action.
That is so incredibly cool -- and I'm confused as to how I missed your blog -- I think I have two people with the same name? Oh gosh -- major apologies.

This necklace is nothing short of stunning. I love your design process. I rarely draw things out (although I did this time) because I wing it and obviously, I should stretch my brain more and draw more because I would love to make prettier things like this.

You really rocked her beads! And thank you SO MUCH for playing!
Wonderful! You have created a terrific piece of wearable art. I like your use of color and texture is fabulous. Thank you for sharing your artistic process along the way. Cheers!
Lori
CraftyHope said…
I love that you shared pictures of the places in nature that inspired this piece. You definitely did a fab job drawing from that inspiration. The necklace is beautiful. You really made something unique, and I adore that above all.
Silver Parrot said…
First off...let me say I am in awe that you sketch your designs, that the sketch looks that good and that your final design really does look like the sketch! 3 things that I am completely hopeless at LOL!

This is an amazing piece - unique, well balanced, colorful. You need to submit it to "Stringing" for publication IMMEDIATELY. I can totally see it in the Summer issue!
I LOVE color! said…
I am so sorry for being so late my computer was resisting too labor intensive:^)Very nice designs. And there is still time to sign up for the give-away, Just go to SandysColoringBox.blogspot.com Sept.16th blog and leave a comment
Be blessed to be a blessing
WOW! What a beautiful necklace! And thanks so much for sharing your inspiration and your sketch! So cool to see your process!
Beadaholique said…
Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing your inspiration and thought process!
Julie and Andrea
Jenni said…
Love the inspiration and how you drew your design and pretty much followed it...the whole water gradation of blues and throughout the brown bead is fantastic...your clasp is pretty awesome and it looks great where it is placed. beautiful job.
jenni
Alice said…
A beautiful piece!!!! And I love that your inspiration came from a place you visited. I was happy to read the process from conception to the final piece.

I'm terrible at knotting, so I've been afraid to use any kind of silk or cording in my pieces. Thank you for the tip to wrap with wire.
Molly Alexander said…
I absolutely love your necklace and how it tells the story of those beautiful spots from your honeymoon. Beautiful job! :)
Cindy Cima said…
Beautiful job - love those colors!
Terri said…
Love the thought process and designs Your necklace turned out exactly as you envisioned. And when you wear it it is not just a piece of jewelry it has and tells a story. Soup-er job!
salla said…
beautiful piece! and I love that you gave us a look into your design process. Always fun to see how others work.
chicandfrog said…
I love those strands with see beads in different size and how you used the square focal. Good job!
Ambra
Boot ~C said…
I love that you included the sketch, this is a really beautiful piece
Christine said…
Absolutely beautiful!! Love all the fabulous details!
maneki said…
Lovely necklace! I really like seeing those glimpses from the process that lead up to the finished piece. I think you've managed very well in transforming the views and memories of a landscape into a piece of jewellery (really like the "waterfall". Very well done!
Serena Trent said…
Love the necklace! I had to do a sketch too. I knew what I wanted to do but couldnt quite get it together until I put it on paper.
Lyn Foley said…
I too enjoyed reading about your creative process. A job well done!
THIS has to be the most beautiful necklace of the whole hop. I am whispering these words in my head because i do not want to disturb the peace it is bringing. oh my...this reminds me of every hike i ever took, every national park i have ever been to, every escape i made into the woods alone in my youth. this is a feeling of well being and peace and where my soul feels at home. thank you so much for sharing...i am glad i FINALLY made it here to your blog :-)
Debbie said…
I love the wire wrapping mixed in with the stringing. I tend to do one and not the other and need to be more adventurous.. Love it.
pinkchapeau said…
I love the earthy colors you recieved, and I love how you were inspired by them. Your necklace is lovely!
What a wonderful design. It is a striking necklace.
~cryssT
Shay Stone said…
I love your inspiration, interpretation and the final piece! Just gorgeous :)
Ann said…
I love the way you used both the focal and the clasp. Thanks for sharing your process too.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher