On Our Menu: February 20 - 26

The menu that I actually cooked last week ended up being way different from what I posted. Two of the meals I cooked resulted in leftovers for days and days and days. That made planning this week's menu a lot easier. I just used the meals from last week that never got made!


One of the huge-serving recipes I tried was Slow-Cooker Stout & Chicken Stew. I think I liked this a little more on day 1 than I did on day 3. LOL. Don't make this recipe if you don't like beer because you can definitely taste it. All in all, I actually thought the stew was somewhat bland. I won't be making it again.


Another recipe that I tried was Black Pepper & Fettuccine with Chardonnay Sauce from Vegetarian Times magazine. If you get that magazine and want to try this recipe, do NOT follow the printed directions. Follow these instead. VT made a huge error on this recipe. The sauce is made from blended cashews and reduced Chardonnay. They tell you to blend the cashews with water, strain, and discard the solids. If you do this, you will be left with water that has a hint of cashew flavor because you will be throwing out the cashews. Now what would be the point of that?! I caught this error after I added about half of the cashew water to my simmering wine. Luckily I hadn't throw away the ground cashews yet so I added them back to the sauce. My sauce was still way too runny but the flavor was truly amazing. I would encourage you to give this recipe a try. Just follow the correct directions. Also, I would start with just a 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and added more from there. 1 1/2 teaspoons is a lot of pepper.


To finish off our Valentine's dinner, I made two Single-Serving Mocha Chocolate Cakes. I "baked" them in coffee mugs and topped each one with a scoop of turtle ice cream. Oh...my....gosh. AMAZING! Super easy to make and so delectable. If you make any dessert this week, this should be it.


Here's what's on our menu this week. Nothing fancy....



Comments

coffeeaddict said…
I'm a big fan of stews:-) so is my boyfriend. I love to make a huge batch of chili on Sunday evening and then divide the portions throughout the week.
Amy Powell said…
I love making a dish & then finding out that it's way more food & then getting to eat leftovers. Always a fun surprise :)

thai red curry sounds awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

7 Days in Glacier National Park