On Our Menu: March 12 - 18

Though windy, the weekend was sunny and warm so I hung our bedding outside to dry for the first time this year. Sheets always smell so good after drying in the sun. Why is that?




Last year for my birthday my mother-in-law gave me 50+ bulbs to plant around our house. I noticed a few of them starting to poke through the ground. I think this one is allium.




The sandhill cranes are back. I heard their prehistoric calls early Saturday morning. It feels like spring (the birds and the flowers think so too) and Wednesday is supposed to get up to 74 degrees. We will no doubt have at least one more big snowstorm before the trees turn green. Next week will probably be back in the single digits. LOL. That's Wisconsin for ya!


Last week I tried four new recipes and only liked one. Let's start with the bland and boring recipes:


Egyptian Red Lentil Soup: Middle Eastern dishes are usually bursting with flavor. Not this soup; it was so bland. In fact, it looked bland too - nothing like the bright soup in the picture.


Layered Salad with Oil-Free Orange Ginger Dressing: I had high hopes for this dish because I usually enjoy recipes from Oh She Glows. I admit, I mainly wanted to make this salad because it looks beautiful. Too bad it didn't taste as good as it looked. The wheat berries make the salad very chewy. I felt like I was chewing, chewing, and chewing and not tasting anything worth the work. I had to read my book while eating just to take my mind off of how much I was chewing and not enjoying my meal.


Paella Primavera: This dish is on the cover of the March 2012 issue of Vegetarian Times and not yet on their website. Again, it looks delicious but tastes so bland. I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I don't think I really care for saffron. 


So, the only good new recipe I tried last week was Jackfruit Gyros. I have quite a bit to say about that dish so you'll have to stop back later in the week for a post dedicated just to the wonderful and mysterious world of Jackfruit.


This is what we're eating this week. I'm hoping to get the grill out for our burgers on Wednesday!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher