On Our Menu: March 26 - April 1

Last week I tried three new recipes:


Crispy Breaded Tofu Strips and Sweet Potato Fries
I had been wanting to try this recipe since the day Angela posted it on her site. Well, I wasn't that impressed. The tofu strips were definitely crispy and the breading tasted good but, as I'm sure you are aware, tofu has no taste so the strips were kind of bland. I think they would be great if you first marinated the tofu to give it some flavor. The sweet potato fries had a nice flavor but were soggy and limp. I tried broiling them at the end like the recipe suggests but the tips of the fries started to burn so they never got crispy.


Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy and Kale
This dish is so hearty that you forget there's no meat in it. I used a combination of button and cremini mushrooms and the dish still turned out great. The only complaint? There wasn't any leftovers!


Mint-Chocolate Fudge Pie
Think you don't like tofu? Try this recipe and I bet you'll change your mind! My husband was SHOCKED that it was made with tofu. It is that good!




Here's what's on our menu this week:





Comments

Kathy said…
I've just recently discovered quinoa. Do you have any good recipes you can share for quinoa? The only way I have made it thus far is a recipe I found on this website: http://quick-dish.tablespoon.com/2011/02/15/vegan-quinoa-and-black-beans/. It was very good made that way, but I am curious if you make it. Thanks!
Kelly J. R. said…
Kathy,
I eat quinoa most often in the flake form. It's kind of like instant oatmeal. I make my own oatmeal in the morning and sometimes use part quick oats and part quinoa flakes so I get some extra protein. I have made quinoa a few times in dishes like the one you linked to. I'm not a huge fan of the texture of quinoa. BUT I do have a quinoa recipe for you that I absolutely LOVE: Zucchini-Quinoa Lasagna

I used regular cheese instead of non-dairy. There's only 4g fat in this lasagna which is amazing!
Amy Powell said…
Oooo..... That pizza sounds amazing!!

Hope you guys have a great week :)

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher