Apostle Islands Here We Come...

...in another few months, that is! Christian and I just made our reservations for our summer trip. Normally we go hiking but this year we are going to exercise our arms instead. We're going sea kayaking in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore! (Yes, it's still called "sea" kayaking even though we won't be in the sea.)




The Apostle Islands in Lake Superior are made up of 21 islands. Hmmm, I wonder why not 12.... We've heard that the best way see the islands and their sea caves is from the water so we're taking a 4-day guided sea kayaking tour. We'll carry our gear in our kayaks, camp on the islands, tour some lighthouses, and explore the beautiful coastlines. The guide does all of the cooking so I'm really looking forward to that! 


Here are a few stunning photos from our outfitter, Living Adventure.




I'm looking forward to this trip because it's a lot closer to home. Driving 27 hours to get to the Canadian Rockies last summer was not fun! Do you have any vacations planned this summer? I would love to hear about it!

Comments

Kathy said…
This trip sounds great for you, but would be next to impossible for me. I could never keep up with the rigor of kayaking and camping. I envy your ability to physically do that. Don't take it for granted!

My family is flying out to the Pacific Northwest. We will visit some blog friends in British Columbia first. They came here to VA to meet us last summer. So much fun! Then we will drive through WA, OR, and CA...seeing the sights of beautiful land, mountains, and sea. It will be a stretch for me physically, but I feel like I can do it.

Looking forward to your pics when you come home from this trip!!
Liz said…
Sounds fantastic. I hear great things about the Apostle Islands. Between the amazing sights you're bound to see, sleeping under the stars and someone cooking your meals, I think you're guaranteed a great trip!

We're planning our first camping trip with the kids - I think Devil's Lake - and a few weekends at my parents' cabin in Door County. Hooray for summer adventures!
Amy Powell said…
sounds like so much fun!!
Kelly J. R. said…
Kathy - I definitely don't take my physical ability to do something like this for granted! In 2005 I had a serious neck injury and came scary-close to being paralyzed. I am SO very thankful that I can still get out there and enjoy the things I love. I've toned it back a bit (no more whitewater kayaking!) but I have no complaints!

I've been to the Pacific Northwest once and thought it was so beautiful! (I was in the North Cascades.) Visiting Olympia National Park is on my list too. The scenery is stunning so I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Liz - Devil's Lake with the kids should be great! I remember camping there quite a few times with my family when I was little.
Tima Murrell said…
Those pictures are gorgeous. Can't wait to see your pictures when you return.
Since we must returned from Thailand we're going to take it easy this summer. A small relaxing trip to the Smokey Mtns. and visiting family.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher