A Homegrown Meal - Wine Cap Burgers

I'm amazed by how fast the wine cap mushrooms are growing. 




I've been harvesting every two days but only because I have to!


First Wine Cap Harvest: May 14, 2012


On Tuesday night we had our first taste of our new mushrooms. I sprinkled some of the largest caps with BBQ 3000 from Penzeys Spices (Wauwatosa, WI) then placed them on the grill. And what fun is grilling out if you're not enjoying a nice cold beer? I'm always trying different microbrews and this one was Potosi Snake Hollow IPA (Potosi, WI)




Once the mushrooms were done, I placed two caps on a Johnston's Bakery whole wheat bun (Sheboygan, WI), added a slice of swiss cheese from Star Dairy (Weyauwega, WI) and a good puddle of Saz's Vidalia Onion cooking sauce (Milwaukee, WI)




Delicious! The burgers had a nice smoky/sweet flavor and were juicy, thick, and filling. Since this was our first time eating these mushrooms we were joking that this was our last meal. You know, because we were going to be poisoned. Totally kidding of course! I was pretty proud of myself for serving a meal that came entirely from our great state of Wisconsin. 


Gotta go - it's time to harvest again!


Second Wine Cap Harvest: May 16, 2012



Comments

Kathy said…
That's a lot of some BIG mushrooms! And you look so cute in your straw hat! And what is it about grilling, sitting outside, etc. that makes us want a beer or glass of vino in hand? :-) Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

7 Days in Glacier National Park