On Our Menu: April 30 - May 6

Last week I tried out 3 new recipes. (Click the title names for the recipes.)


Kamut Salad
This was my first time having kamut, an heirloom wheat very similar to wheat berries. The salad consisted of kamut, strawberries, spinach, and oranges (I used mandarin slices since the grocery store didn't have blood oranges). The dressing was tasty but very mild. If I make this again, I will use less kamut (it's very filling and chewy) and hopefully the dressing will stand out more. I think 1 to 1-1/2 cups of kamut would be sufficient.


Potato, Asparagus, & Mushroom Hash
The flavor of this dish was incredible! To cut down on cooking time, I microwaved the potatoes about 6 minutes until tender. I also used 1/2 tsp. dried ground sage instead of fresh and that was more than enough. I will most definitely make this again. My husband and I just had the hash for dinner (no egg or toast) and didn't have any leftovers. It was that good!


Whole Wheat Fettucine with Arugula Pesto
I skipped making the pasta from scratch (who has time for that?!) and just bought a box of whole wheat fettucine. I honestly don't know what I was expecting from the arugula pesto. Arugula is bitter, right? Well, that's how the pesto tasted. Yuck. Not my favorite.


I also tried a new beer over the weekend that I fell in love with: Central Water's Bourbon Barrel Stout. I tried it at a restaurant that is owned by partners in the brewery. Hopefully I can find a 6-pack at the grocery store otherwise it looks like I'll be taking a road trip to Amherst. Mmmmmm, beer.  




Here's what I'm cooking this week:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

Yarn Along: Ready Player Shawl