On Our Menu: June 11 - 17

What a crazy weekend! Thursday night we headed to Two Rivers, WI and by 5AM Friday morning we were on a fishing boat out in Lake Michigan. We caught some BIG fish (more on that later this week) then drove back home Friday afternoon. On Saturday we headed up to my grandparent's cottage and played in the lake all day since it was 90 degrees. On Sunday we took the kayaks out on the river right by our house and got a nice workout to prepare for our trip to the Apostle Islands. Needless to say, I am POOPED today! Work hard but play harder: the story of our lives.

Last week I tried a yummy new pizza recipe: Flatbread Pizzas with Romesco Sauce, Portobello Mushrooms, Wisconsin Mozzarella and Smoked Gouda. This was my first time trying smoked gouda and I really liked it. We had some leftover so we had it on our fishing trip with pepperoni slices and crackers. That was really good too! Okay - back to the pizza: the romesco sauce was very easy to put together. I used regular fresh garlic instead of roasted and un-toasted slivered almonds and the sauce still turned out great. Also, instead of grilling the mushrooms (I used portobellos and a few of our own wine caps) I just put them on the pizza raw and they cooked in the oven just fine. I had enough sauce, cheese and mushrooms to cover 5 naan breads. The brand that I bought came in a package of 5 so that worked out great.

Last night I grilled some of the salmon we caught and used this recipe: Plank-Grilled Salmon with Creamy Tarragon Sauce. We got cedar grilling planks for our wedding shower two years ago so it was about time that we used them! I was surprised how mild the lake salmon tasted to ocean salmon. We could really taste the cedar flavor in the fish. The tarragon sauce was nice and light and perfect for a hot day. My only complaint about the recipe is that the fish took almost 50 minutes to cook on our grill. Now, our grill is not the best grill out there but how can it take 40 minutes more than what the recipe says?! Just a little warning if you decide to give this recipe a try.

Here's what's on our menu this week:



Comments

Mandi said…
I want to eat at your house! Haha! Everything sounds delish. Hope you had a great time fishing.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

7 Days in Glacier National Park