On Our Menu: June 18 - 24

Did you have a good weekend? We got some much-needed rain which made weeding the garden so much easier than trying to pull the pesky little plants out of concrete-like soil. 


Yesterday we got out kayaking again. This time I brought along our new waterproof camera. I found out that's it's very hard to take photos from the kayak because it doesn't stay pointing in the directing that you want it. Here a just a few shots from the water:




The photo quality is not nearly as nice as my other camera but at least I don't have to worry about it getting wet!


Last week I tried a bunch of new recipes. Here are my thoughts on what worked and what didn't. (Click the headings for the recipes)


Sweet and Spicy Crock Pot Ribs
I don't eat a lot of meat but I love me some BBQ ribs. This was a super-easy way to prepare ribs. I used the Stubb's Sweet Heat BBQ sauce but not the dry pork rub. The ribs were tender and spicy enough to need a cold beer to cool down my mouth. The weird thing that happened with the ribs is the smaller bones turned into a rubbery cartilage-type chunk that you had to be careful not to eat. Just because of that I'm not sure I'll make ribs in the crock pot again.


Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
I harvested yet another batch of wine cap mushrooms so I needed a recipe to use them up. I wasn't a big fan of how this sauce turned out. I used a combination of tarragon and parsley for the 1/2 cup of fresh herbs and they overpowered the flavor of everything else. I think a 1/4 cup of herbs would have been enough. I did love how fast and easy it was to cook the pork chops and then the sauce using the same skillet. Less dishes!


Grilled Tempeh Salad with Sesame-Ginger Dressing
We have more fresh salad greens in our garden right now that I know what to do with so I think we'll be having a lot of main course salads in the near future. I've only used tempeh a handful of times and this was my first time grilling it. The "meaty" chunks added a nice texture and heartiness to the salad. For the dressing, I didn't have any fresh ginger so I used about a 1/4 tsp. ground ginger. The dressing was bright and tasty and went well with the peas and pineapple. This recipe is a keeper.


Skinny Guacamole
This recipe uses 1 avocado and 1 zucchini making it a lower-calorie guacamole. I peeled the zucchini, chopped it, then microwaved as the recipe directed. Once the zuc is cooked, you just mash in the rest of the ingredients. So easy! We loved the flavor and so did my parents. It does have a little bit different texture and taste than regular guac but I don't think people would notice unless you told them.


And now my favorite recipe from last week:


Nectarine and Strawberry Parfait
AMAZING! This recipe is well worth the fuss. Be warned - it will make your teeth hurt because it's so sweet. I had to ask for help in the liquor store in finding sweet Riesling. I didn't know that there are 3 levels of Riesling wine: sweet Riesling, Riesling, and Dry Riesling. Most Rieslings are just regular Rieslings so I had a hard time finding Sweet. The sweet is in fact sweet and tastes like a desert wine. I'll be making this parfait again this week. Just need to get more nectarines!


Here's what's on our menu this week:







Comments

Kathy said…
Yum, I love edamame! Monday's dinner sounds great!

Thanks for letting me know about your clasp. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher