So, I guess now I'm an Environmental Activist...

I've been an outdoor enthusiast my whole life. I started camping and hiking when I was 4 years old and canoeing not too long after that. My fondest childhood memories are of visiting state parks and nature preserves. That love of nature has carried over into my adult life. I've introduced my husband to a lot of outdoor sports and now our vacations are spent exploring the wild places of our planet. I've been a member of the Sierra Club since 1999 and recently "retired" from a 10-year position on the board of our local Sierra group. It's been two years since I stepped down from that position and I've been looking for a new volunteering opportunity. A new project. Well, I now have one. It's not really what I had in mind. I was thinking of something a little less stressful...



A.F. Gelhar Co. is trying to get permits to mine silica sand on 160 acres (in the Town of Union, Waupaca Co.) just a few miles from our peaceful farm. I could type for hours and hours on why this sand mine is a HORRIBLE idea but I'll leave it up to you to research on your own if you want to learn more. Or ask me any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer then. Let me just leave you with a photo of A.F. Gelhar's mine in Markesan, Wisconsin. Would you want this in your neighborhood?

Click the photo to enlarge.

Time to go. I have a mine to stop! 


Comments

coffeeaddict said…
good luck with preventing the silica mine! it's high time big ass companies realize they can't just do as they please :-)
Mandi said…
Good luck! I hope your efforts prove successful.

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Good Luck! We are only 6 miles away and hope that this is not allowed.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher