On Our Menu: January 21 - 27

How was your weekend? Christian and I just hung around home and got some much-needed chores done. We finally took down the Christmas decorations. Sad. Sad because we still had them up and sad that the house looks so empty now.

Here are a few new recipes that I tried over the past 2 weeks. (click the title for the recipe link)

1 Million Vegetables Lentil Stew
Like the title says, this stew is loaded with veggies. While the flavor was good, the recipe made a lot and by the third day of leftovers, I didn't want to look at another bowl of this stew. Also, something in the stew didn't agree with my stomach and I was left with an upset tummy each time that I ate it.

Mushroom Stroganoff
This healthy take on traditional stroganoff is so creamy and hearty that you won't even know that it's missing meat. 

Broccoli Cheese Soup
This soup tastes like it's loaded with heavy cream but it's not! Yeah, it does have a bit of cheese, but when you're from Wisconsin, that's totally acceptable. Pureed broccoli and spinach create a bright, beautiful green soup. Perfect for St. Patty's day, perhaps?

Shrimp Fried Rice
Don't order takeout - make this instead! Another dish that is loaded with veggies, this Asian meal has a wonderful taste. I used cooked shrimp to save time. Once all of the veggies are chopped, this dish cooks up very fast.

Spicy Beef, Bean and Vegetable Stew
I admit that I wanted to try this stew because it has a bottle of dark beer in it. To be honest, I couldn't taste the beer at all. Also, the stew was not spicy. The parsnips were the predominant flavor and I'm not a big fan of parsnips. Oh well. The stew wasn't bad, it's just not something that I'll make again.

Salami and Spinach Stromboli
When I went to roll up my pizza dough the salami slid around on the sauce and made a mess and I could only fold the dough in half instead of making a spiral. I believe this is totally my own fault because I used regular pizza sauce instead of tomato paste. Sauce is a lot runnier than paste so I'm guessing that was the main problem. I also added canned mushrooms to my filling which contributed to the runny mess. Once I got the ingredients sealed up in the dough, the stromboli baked nicely but was a runny mess when I tried to cut it into pieces. I will try making this again because the flavor was great.


Here's what I'm cooking this week:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher