On Our Menu: June 10 - 16

Do you ever have one of those weeks where it seems like everything goes wrong and the weight of the world is on your shoulders? That was last week for me. Rough. I think I'm slowly healing but it's still going to take some more time. 

Enough of that. Let's talk about food! Last week I made a Spinach Salad with Avocado-Ranch Dressing. The actual salad was kind of bland but the dressing was great - a creamy healthy dressing that you don't feel guilty about eating! The creaminess comes from blended avocado. Don't like avocados? I promise you that you can't taste it. 

Photo from vegetariantimes.com
I also made Roasted Vegetable Linguine with Torn Fresh Basil. Doesn't it look delicious? Of course, my dish looked nothing like that! In glancing at the recipe again I realize that I used over twice as much pasta. Hmmm. Could be the reason why it was so bland! We have wild asparagus growing in our ditches so it was fun to go out and pick some to use for this dish. 

Here's a slow-cooker recipe that I tried: Chicken Pho. The broth has a strong black licorice flavor which turned both Christian and I off. The recipe also has a lot of strange ingredients which called for a trip to the Asian Market. Unless you love black licorice, I would skip this one.

Photo from cleangreensimple.com
This next recipe was suggested to me in the comment section of my Jackfruit Gyros post. Jackfruit really is fun to use as a meat substitute and it's WAY cheaper. The Carolina Pulled "Pork" Sandwiches were so spicy, though, that I'm still not sure if I liked them! I think I'll give them another try but cut the paprika back to 1/2 tsp. and the cayenne to 1/4 tsp. 

And since it's rhubarb season here in Wisconsin (the strawberries are lagging behind) I had to try this healthier version of Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. Instead of sugar, the fruit mix uses honey. I made mine with 1/3 C. honey which left the crisp pretty tart. But, really, that means it's even more perfect with ice cream! I will definitely make this recipe again.

Here's what I'm cooking this week:


Comments

Brewed Together said…
Looks like it is going to be yummy! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher