RECIPE: Buckwheat Banana Pancakes with Blueberries (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Oil-Free)

Since we've been married, my husband and I have pancakes every Saturday morning. When I had to switch to a gluten-free diet, I was afraid that our pancake tradition would die. In addition to having to avoid gluten, I also cannot have rice or chickpeas - two ingredients that are common in gluten-free all-purpose flour mixes. I tried numerous buckwheat pancake recipes but they just weren't the same as the fluffy pancakes we were used to. That's when I discovered that by adding bananas to the batter, I could get a fluffier, sweeter pancake, and, as an added bonus, it's healthier too!

_________________________________________

Buckwheat Banana Pancakes with Blueberries
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Oil-Free)

2 bananas
2 C. buckwheat flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. sugar
2 eggs
1-2/3 C. milk of your choice (I use almond milk)
10 oz. package frozen blueberries

Preheat a large skillet over medium-low heat. 

Mash the bananas in a large bowl. Then add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, sugar and eggs. Mix until combined. Now add the milk and stir until most of the lumps in the batter are gone. Mix the frozen blueberries into the batter. 

Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto skillet for each pancake. Cook until done, flipping halfway through. Serve covered in real maple syrup.

Makes 8-10 pancakes
_________________________________________

Because our new floors are "socks only" for a few more days, our dining room table and chairs are still out in the garage. So, this morning we had our pancakes on the butcher block. Kind of a cute setup but I had a hard time finding a flat spot for my mug of tea and you had to sit with your legs straddled. 


After breakfast we worked on staining the new trim boards. Some of the boards are 16 feet long so the only place to put them was down the hall. Oh what fun home remodeling can be! Thankfully, my parents have been watching the dogs so at least we don't have to stress out about them right now.


I just keep telling myself that it will all be worth it in the end!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

Yarn Along: Ready Player Shawl