Garden Update: June 20, 2014

There's not a whole lot happening in our garden yet. We had a very late spring. I usually plant Memorial weekend but waited an extra week because the evenings were so chilly. We are starting to have a few red strawberries here and there. The patch looks a little sad this year because I think I got a little too carried away in thinning it out. Oops.



I direct-seeded corn, beans, peas, and carrots and probably only 1/3 of them sprouted. Not sure if it was the seed or the weather that was bad. I only pretend to know what I'm doing... I will replant those rows this week.



Since we were on vacation during the middle of May I didn't start any seeds indoors. I "cheated" on the peppers and tomatoes and bought plants at local plant sales and greenhouses. So far only one pepper plant has been eaten by a deer or rabbit. 



In other growing news, I have my first peony! My co-worker gave me a plant when I first moved to the farm 4 years ago. I honestly didn't think the darn thing would ever flower because it's looked so pathetic the past few years. And then, all of a sudden, this year it took off and I already have 2 blooms. Just awesome!



Two nights ago we were walking along the edge of a hay field that had just been cut when Christian spotted some asparagus. I picked enough to grill up with our portobello burgers. What a treat!


What are you growing this year?


Comments

steph said…
wow! what a garden!!!! (I have 3 little raised beds--LITTLE! and some tomatoes and zucchini planted in the flower beds.) Awesome!
Brienne Moody said…
That asparagus IS awesome. I just remember reading about asparagus in Barbara Kingsolver's veggie book and it sounded so hard to grow! How exciting to be able to pick and eat when it is so fresh. Yum!
karen said…
love peonies immensely they remind me of my gram :) We put our garden in late as well, we were on vacation. Hopefully everything will grow anyways!!

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher