A Bad-Ass Birthday

Instead of gifts, Christian and I take each other on a surprise adventure for our birthdays. We never tell each other where we're going - just what to wear and what to pack. (In past years I've taken him to a water park, biking on the Elroy-Sparta trail, go-karting and a demolition derby, beer tasting, zip lining, etc.) 

This year for Christian's birthday we did something that we've never done before - we went to the shooting range! I've shot guns before but that was over 15 years ago. I seem to remember getting knocked on my butt by my dad's muzzle loader. I thought the range would be a good opportunity to try out some different guns since we've been talking about getting something for out at the farm to take care of problem animals such as sick raccoons.  

I had purchased a Groupon for unlimited lane and gun rental for 2 people at the Family Shooting Academy. When we got to the range we had the whole place to ourselves so one of the employees was able to spend a lot of time with us. We wanted to start with something small so we held a few different hand guns and found one we wanted to shoot. The guy showed us how to handle the gun, load it, shoot, etc. and how to stay safe at the range. After we bought some ammo we headed into the range to start shooting. I was really nervous but after firing off a few rounds I relaxed and had a great time.



After firing the 22 gauge handgun we picked out a 22 gauge rifle. Then next it was on to a 9 mm handgun and rifle. Boy - did those have some kick! I only shot 10 rounds with the rifle and my shoulder was already sore. The rifle was a little too heavy for me too. I did better with the handguns. 



While we both agreed that we had a good time, I don't think we'll make going to the shooting range a regular activity. I do have to say that firing a gun is very empowering. I felt pretty bad-ass.



Comments

fjord girl said…
What a cool idea- Pierre's B-day is coming up might make this a tradition. Looks like you guys were right on target.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

Yarn Along: Ready Player Shawl