Operation Christmas Child - My Shoebox is Packed!

Each year my church is a drop-off site for Operation Christmas Child. Have you heard of it? The concept is simple. Pick a gender: boy or girl. Pick an age group: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Then pack a shoebox full of gifts for that child. After the shoeboxes are collected, Samaritan's Purse delivers them to needy children all over the world. (Last time my box went to Malaysia.) Once the shoeboxes are handed out, the children are also given the opportunity to learn about Jesus Christ. 


Here's a glimpse at what I packed into this year's shoebox for a 10-14 year old girl.

Backpack. Pencils. Toothbrush. Deodorant. Floss. Soap. Candy. Notebooks. Hairclips. Stickers. Plush turtle (not pictured).

I wanted to include some practical items along with a few fun things. This shoebox full of gifts may be the first gift that my child has ever received. Doesn't that just give you goosebumps? I hope she likes what I picked out for her. I sure had fun doing it!


Comments

Julie Crawford said…
oh wow, that is such a wonderful thing to do, and a great way to honour the true spirit of Christmas. and also to pick a challenging age group (tweens!).
Kathy said…
Kelly, we have a shoebox packing party with our church kids every year and they love to do it! I'm working with the middle schoolers on it this year, and I have asked them to do the 10-14 year old age group because I've read that it's an under-represented age group in this program. Kudos to you for picking that group too!

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher