Yarn Along: The Great Sand Fracas Cowl

I'm linking up with Ginny for this week's Yarn Along.



Knitting: Chunky Lace Cowl
When I first started knitting this cowl I cast on 121 stitches. I quickly realized that I wouldn't be able to get a wide enough cowl out of just two skeins of Bazinga. So, I frogged the cowl, CO 105 stitches, and added trim in Pima Silk. My hope is that the cowl is still long enough to wrap it twice around your neck. Time will tell!
Pattern: Chunky Mochi Lace Cowl by Barbara Breiter & Susan Druding (free on Rav)
Yarn: Cascade Yarns Pima Silk in Colorway Regal and Plymouth Yarn Bazinga in Colorway Lime Grape.



Reading: The Great Sand Fracas of Ames County: A Novel by Jerry Apps
This book could have been written about my own town as we have been trying to stop a frac sand mine from coming into our community for over 2 years now. Actually, the fictional town of Link Lake is located in the same neck of the woods that my Wisconsin town is so it's really fun for me to read about the nearby places. The author has done a great job at portraying some of the tactics that these rich mining companies use to gain favor in a community: sending in a frontman to scope things out, contributing money to local events, promising to be a good neighbor and bring jobs to the community, trying to get their operation up and running before much opposition can mount, etc. It all hits very close to home. Apps is not the best writer but he does tell a good story.



What are you knitting/reading this week? 

Comments

fjord girl said…
Love the colorway of the yarn you shoes so pretty with purple and green...I bet this will be lovely!
I love this yarn you are using and it will be beautiful the cowl when finished! Thank you for stopping by just now. I can't wait to get that scarf finished! Take care and happy knitting!
Julie
Mama Gone Green said…
what fun yarn! happy knitting!
Christine N said…
I agree with Fjord Girl. Lime green and people look so great together. That's going to turn out nice.
karen said…
I love Lime green anything! Love the colorway and what a quick fun satisfying knit :)
Julie Crawford said…
ooh, such a cozy looking cowl!! I'm reading Lynn Coady's Hellgoing, a collection of short stories. I'm loving it.
Hanni said…
What a great yarn and pattern match! It is going to be a pretty winter cowl with these happy colors :))
Wishing you happy knitting & reading,
Hanni
Bazinga! Best yarn name ever!

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

Yarn Along: Ready Player Shawl