Yarn Along: Awful Yarn - HELP!

I'm linking up with Ginny for this week's Yarn Along.


Knitting: Hannah Jacket
I need some advice on what to do with this awful yarn. Sure, it looks pretty but my fingers turn black every time I knit with it. I'm really worried that all of the pretty color will wash right out. Is there any way to set dye in a yarn? It's 100% cotton. I've never run into this before. I'm beginning to realize why the yarn was so cheap...
Pattern: Hannah Jacket by Nikki Van De Car
Yarn: Newton's Yarn Country Softball Chunky


Reading: In the Company of Others by Jan Karon
Still working my way through this lovely book that's set in Ireland. I'm beginning to wonder what the "journal" has to do with the rest of the story. Those sections are really starting to bore me. Has anyone else read the book? Does the journal mean something in the end? I hope so!


FO: Lily Cardigan
It only took me 2 years but I finally finished my first knit garment! I picked this pattern because it has a very relaxed fit and I was panicky that I would put so much time into knitting something only to have it too small. The cardigan turned out a little big but I'm okay with that. It wears like a comfy sweatshirt. I really like the flower details around the yoke. 
Pattern: Lily by Lene Holme Sams√łe
Yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers in colorway 2425 Provence
Buttons: GreenEarth by La Mode (50-60% recycled plastic) bought at JoAnn Fabrics

You'll notice that one side is longer than the other. I know I knit the same number of rows so I'm contributing that to bad blocking. I was just so excited to wear it for the first time that I didn't want to re-block it.


What are you knitting/reading this week?



Comments

Jayne Marti said…
Love your Lily - it looks wonderful! The other yarn is a lovely colour, but what a nuisance about the dye. I'm not sure what you should do - for certain someone here will be able to help. Good luck!
sara said…
The color is gorgeous! I hope someone can offer help...
karen said…
I would be surprised if the color ran out. fill a sink or tub with tepid water add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of vinegar to the water and soak for a while (20 minutes) then drain and run under tepid water to see if it runs clear....vinegar is supposed to set dyes. I've done this with dark calico fabric when I quilted eons ago. Should work for yarn!

if it stops running, then do a wool wash soak and that should be it. Good luck!!!

you look lovely in you sweater and I do love the little sweater!!
Donna said…
Your Lilly cardigan looks wonderful! As far as your other yarn - I have found that if I soak bleeding yarn in some cold water and vinegar it seems to do the trick.
fjord girl said…
It looks awesome Kelly. You really are a patient knitter -love the color on you.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher