Birthday High

Instead of gifts, Christian and I take each other on a surprise adventure for our birthdays. We never tell each other where we're going - just what to wear and what to pack. (In past years I've taken him to a water park, biking on the Elroy-Sparta trail, go-karting and a demolition derby, beer tasting, gun shooting, etc.) 

This year I took Christian to the Adventure Park at the N.E.W. Zoo in Suamico, Wisconsin. We started by zip lining 1,000 feet down a cable from 50 feet up in the air. 

(Some other random guy waiting to zip)

Next it was on to the high ropes course - the real reason we were there. The course is made up of 3 levels. The 1st level is pretty easy and not very far off the ground. The 2nd level is where things got interesting.


The first obstacle on the 2nd level was a zig-zag swinging balance beam. You couldn't reach the next cable while still holding onto the other one so there was a moment in between where you had nothing to grab onto. Yes, it was a bit scary.


We went on a very windy day so we also had the challenge of trying to grab onto some of the ropes that the wind was blowing away from us.




On the 3rd level we were over 30' in the air. Trying to stand on small platforms/cables while they are moving is definitely a test of willpower. 


The obstacle that I was the most proud of conquering was a series of swings. The plank would tip if you didn't step in the middle of it which added just another element of suspense.



To get off of the ropes course, you clip into a quick jump and then step off of a 35' platform. After freefalling for 6', the rope finally catches and lowers you to the ground. Talk about a leap of faith! 

To finish off our adventure, we climbed around on the rock wall until our arms wouldn't hold us anymore.


All in all, we spent almost 4 hours playing at the Adventure Park and had a wonderful time. We look forward to going back and doing the ropes course again. I would love to try getting across a few more of the obstacles without hanging onto the cables. I am generally not afraid of heights but some of the obstacles definitely made my knees shake and my mouth go dry.

Have you ever done a high ropes course? If you haven't, would you?

 

Comments

karen said…
wow! that is quite the present! I cannot imagine not knowing where we are going without me planning it (call me a control freak). However, the two of you have such a fun relationship full of delightful surprises!!
Julie Crawford said…
oh wow, that looks SOOO fun!! I've never done an adventure high ropes course, but seeing your great photos, I would totally do it! You've really piqued my interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher

Yarn Along: Ready Player Shawl