Yarn Along: Firebird Gale & the Christmas Stocking

I'm linking up with Ginny for this week's Yarn Along.



Knitting: Gale
One of my knitting goals for 2016 is to knit more garments and less accessories. Because, seriously, how many cowls does a person need? I get easily bored with my knitting so I picked this tunic because it's on big needles with bulky yarn. Big needles + bulky yarn = a quick knit. So, hopefully, I will finish this before I lose interest.
Pattern: Gale by Alicia Plummer
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Encore Chunky Tweed in colorway 670  
 
Reading: The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley
I just finished reading The Firebird and I'm willing to bet that it makes my Top 5 books for 2016. Nicola can see into the past when she touches an object. When a woman comes to the art gallery and asks if her wooden carving is worth anything, Nicola sets out on an adventure to trace the origins of the Firebird. She follows the tumultuous life of young Anna through Scotland and then Russia in the early 1700s. Some of the same characters from The Winter Sea reappear in this book but it really isn't a sequel. I highly recommend reading both books.


FO: Christian's Christmas Stocking 
For Christmas I knit my husband, Christian, a stocking. I didn't quite finish it on time so I'm just posting pictures of it now. Christian's mom's ancestors are from Norway so I wanted a Scandinavian design. I modified/redesigned some elements of the Henrik chart from the book Scandinavian Christmas Stockings by Mette N. Handberg. I charted my design out in Illustrator to make it easier to follow. I added snow-capped mountains to the stocking because Christian loves the mountains. I am so pleased with how the stocking turned out. Christian loves it too! Now I need to make one for myself.
Pattern: Based on Henrik by Mette N. Handberg
Yarn: Cascade 220 Fingering in colorways 8622 Camel, 8010 Natural, 9332 Sapphire, and 9404 Ruby




What are you knitting/reading this week?

 

Comments

Elaine said…
Love your Christmas stocking, very pretty!
Julie Crawford said…
the stocking is awesome! Good luck with your goals of more garments and fewer accessories- it will be worth it!
karen said…
I don't know, I could do with a cowl a day for a month or two ;). Love your knitting and can't wait to see it on you!
Elise said…
I love the stocking! Your tunic looks lovely, I never thought of knitting such a thing, maybe I need one too... :)
Julie Crawford said…
Look at that stunning Christmas stocking, it's so beautiful!!! Love the colours.

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along: Pussyhat Project

Yarn Along: The Magician's Autumn

Yarn Along: Ariana Catcher